Tuesday 28 November 2017

M&S Belgian chocolate orange ice cream

Christmas just isn't Christmas without a Terry's chocolate orange, is it? Sure, you can get one all year, but you NEED one during the festive period. Chocolate orange has become synonymous with Xmas, and M&S have jumped on the bandwagon this year, with this Belgian chocolate orange ice cream. I just had to give it a go!



The 500ml tub was £3, which I thought was pretty reasonable given that it's M&S and that high end ice creams cost around a fiver a tub.

As soon as I opened the tub, I could smell the orange - so far so good! The positives continued when the ice cream was easy to spoon out of the tub and the first mouthful was full of chocolate orange flavour and a silky smooth ice cream.

And then it all went Pete Tong.

After a few mouthfuls, the ice cream began to leave a bitter aftertaste, almost medicinal and more like orange peel than actual orange. The chocolate was lost in the overwhelming synthetic citrus flavour and it actually made me feel rather sick.

I read the packaging and orange puree only makes up 10% of the ingredients, but it tasted so bitter and artificial - not pleasant at all.

This could have worked so well, but the nasty, synthetic orange tang completely ruined it for me and I won't be finishing the tub.

I think the concept is great, but M&S need to work on the recipe, get rid of that awful orange aftertaste and maybe add a swirl and some chocolate chips. For now, this is a huge no!

Munchie stuff


No comments:

Post a Comment