Monday 22 January 2018

Asda Extra Special red velvet melting puddings

Every evening, when my kids are finally in bed, I settle down with a dessert, my go to being cheesecake or ice cream. I was in Asda, looking for my favourite Extra Special millionaires cheesecake, when I spotted these red velvet puddings, and I just couldn't resist!


The pack of two chocolate puddings costs £2.50 and, based on the love heart decoration, I'm assuming these are a valentines day special. 

It wasn't until I got the desserts home that I realised the filling was chocolate. Red velvet is obviously synonymous with cream cheese, so I had expected it to be involved in this pudding, but Asda have chosen to play it safe with dark chocolate. Ah well, It's a good job I'm a chocoholic.


These were an utter nightmare to lift off the plastic tray, and the bottom of my sponge pudding got left behind. Don't worry, I made sure I picked it off - I was not leaving that chocolate ganache behind! When I finally manoeuvred it onto my plate, I whacked it in the microwave for 30 seconds, enough time to get my dessert gooey, but not too hot that I couldn't tuck right in.


Erm, Asda, where is my gooey middle? I was expecting a gush of melted chocolate, but nothing happened! The sponge did have a nice red hue, but I was too busy trying to find my melting middle to rejoice over my red cake.

The red velvet sponge was nice - mild cocoa taste and a lovely light texture - it was just nothing special. I really like that Asda went for red velvet, but they could have been so much more creative with this.

The ganache was beautiful - rich, with a gorgeous dark chocolate taste, which made up for the average sponge cake. I am so disappointed that my pudding lacked the promised gooey centre, because that would have made an average dessert a really good dessert.

This is the first time I've been disappointed by an Asda pudding. Sure, It's nice enough, but it is far from innovative and I'm not sure if I'll ever get over the lack of gooey middle. I wish they'd used a cream cheese - or even a white chocolate - filling, which I think would have worked far better with the red velvet sponge.

Sorry Asda, but I shan't be buying these again! A pretty disappointing and rather lacklustre dessert.

Munchie Stuff

2 comments:

  1. "Erm, Asda, where is my gooey middle?" Haha, I can't emphasise how happy these articles make me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not over my lack of gooey middle! Glad you enjoyed the review though!

      Delete