Sunday 14 January 2018

Cadburys flake cupcakes

I ran a poll on Instagram on Thursday night, asking if I should review these new Cadburys flake cupcakes, for the 88% of voters who said yes - this review is for you!

Now, you may have seen my comment that £2 was far too much to spend on 2 tiny cakes and I stand by that. However, I spotted the cakes at my local One Stop Shop where they were £1.25, which seemed like a far more reasonable price and was all the encouragement I needed to buy them.


These little cakes come in a pack of 2, at the prices stated above. There's also a Crunchie pack, which may be reviewed in the future.


Now, everyone bemoans the quality of Cadburys chocolate and how it has gone down hill over the years, but I still love a bag of giant buttons or a bar of whole nut. I also love their muffins which came out last year, so I was hoping these cupcakes would be as good as those!

They smelt really chocolatey when I opened the plastic packaging, my mouth was already watering! I nibbled a little bit of the buttercream, which was sweet, chocolatey... and, unfortunately, a little bit cheap and synthetic tasting. Still, in for a penny, I took a big bite anyway...


Ok, I take it back! When I ate the buttercream with the cake, the combination just worked! The buttercream was almost fudge like in texture and taste; gone was that cheap taste and instead was pure chocolate comfort!

The sponge cake is lovely, with a more dense and crumbly texture. That heavier cake would normally disappoint me, as I prefer a lighter sponge; but, in this instance, the dense sponge just worked in harmony with the buttercream. It's a shame these cakes are tiny, because they are very tasty!

There is absolutely no way I'd spend £2 on these, because they are so very small. They're tasty, but not tasty enough to part with £2. When I think that the Cadbury muffins are the sa well I know what I'd prefer. That said, I would grab them again while they are on offer and would encourage trying them - just not at full price!

Munchie stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment