Sunday 3 December 2017

Greggs Festive bake

The coca cola truck, the John Lewis ad, selection boxes making their appearance - what says "Christmas" to you? For me it's when Greggs start selling their Festive Bakes - what can I say, I'm easy to please.

Each year the recipe is the same - chicken, stuffing, bacon and cranberry, covered in a creamy sauce and encased in Greggs' famous flaky pastry. I mean, what's not to like?

I got my first Festive bake of the year a few weeks back, it cost £1.50, which is slightly more than last year, so...was it worth it?





I reheated my bake at home, because there is nothing worse than a cold pasty!

As always, the pastry was buttery, flaky and delicious! Does any one manage to stay free of pasty crumbs when they eat one of these?

There was plenty of filling, the meat was perfect and the stuffing balls were so tasty and, although there weren't many of them, they were flavoursome enough to mean you could taste sage and onion with every bite.

I said before how I hate sweet stuff in my savoury food, in fact it wasn't until my wife pointed it out that I realised the humble Festive bake does in fact contain cranberry! In this case though, it isn't over powering and just cuts through the saltiness of the meat and sauce, adding a hint of sweetness.

It's not gourmet grub by any standard, but you just can't go wrong with one of these bad boys! One you must try before they leave us for another year!

Iceland also stock these to bake at home, I've got a box in the freezer, so stay tuned for a bit of a comparison.

Munchie stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment