Monday 4 December 2017

Marks and Spencer "The Collection" mince pies

Normally, by the time December comes around I am on my third or fourth box of mince pies. This year, however, I was late to the party and didn't have my first one until the 1st of December! Swayed by the pretty gold box and star on top of the pie, I opted for an M&S "The Collection" pastry treat.


"All butter shortcrust pastry pies deep filled with plump vine fruits, cranberries, clementine, cherries and brandy". The box of 6 pies set me back £2.40, but I could have got 2 boxes for £4. Pricey when compared to Asda or Sainsburys standard range, but I was paying for luxury (and a pretty pastry star).

My first thought, on reading the description was that I had never realised cherries featured in a mince pie. The recipe threw me a bit and I was expecting something totally different to any mince pie I had eaten before.


I loved the pastry lid, it looked very festive and as though a little bit of care and effort had been put into preparing the pie. The pastry was golden and looked crispy around the edges. On looks alone, this mince pie was superb.




Thankfully, when I bit into the pie, my fears about it not tasting as it should were proved incorrect, as the minced fruit filling was rich, with a hint of booze from the brandy, and a citrus after taste from the clementine. The fruits were juicy and plump, and there was certainly no scrimping on the fruity innards.

The pastry was more akin to shortbread - absolutely beautiful! It was buttery and crisp, with no hint of a soggy bottom and the whole thing held together well, even after I took a big bite. The pie was baked to perfection and I could have easily eaten the entire box.

Before I tried this mince pie, I thought I was going to end this review with a moan about the price, however I just can't do it! The box of mince pies was definitely worth every penny and, as Christmas comes but once a year, I shall allow myself the indulgence of a second box. Question is, will I manage to leave one for Santa?

Munchie stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment