Sunday 17 December 2017

Thorntons seasonal selection

Well, we are less than a week away from the big day and my Christmas indulging has already started! Something about December makes it perfectly acceptable to eat my body weight in chocolate, and the other evening - whilst watching cheesy Christmas films - I cracked open this seasonal edition box of Thorntons chocolate.


This 161g box was £3 from my local co op, and - with Thorntons being a supposedly high end chocolate - I thought this was a pretty acceptable price.


Some of the chocolates in the box are available in the box of Classic chocolate, and I was slightly disappointed that the only chocolates that were remotely festive were the Spiced fudge and the Honeycomb star. Ah well, it was still chocolate and I certainly wasn't going to complain.


Immediately, on lifting the lid, I could smell the spices in the fudge. It certainly smelt like Christmas, and I was pleased that there were three honeycomb stars, as I had these in a different box last year and really enjoyed them.

I tried the spice fudge first and it was so sweet! Sure, I could taste spice but it was completely overpowered by the sugar. Sure, sugar is one of the main ingredients for fudge, but when Thorntons used to make stuff that was creamy and delicious, this was highly disappointing. The spice element made for an odd aftertaste and I don't think it really worked. Unfortunately, there are two of these in the box!

The gooey caramel, nutty praline and toffee baton chocolates all had that same overpowering sweetness. It was hard to taste the cocoa, or any of the other flavours because that sweetness just took over. What happened to the fantastic quality, fab tasting chocolates I remember Thorntons producing?

The saving grace for this box were the orange crisp, the coffee truffle and those honeycomb stars, at least with these you could actually taste the flavours promised in the titles. The more solid, crumbly truffle seems to be something that Thorntons can execute reasonably well, and I am glad I finished the box on a high note.

Would I get it again? I don't think I would. In my opinion, the quality of Thorntons chocolate has gone down hill and just isn't as enjoyable as I remember.  The box of chocolates was disappointing and not very festive at all. Not one I would recommend, unless you like your chocolate to taste like anything but cocoa.

Munchie stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment