Tuesday 19 December 2017

Mr Kipling Frosty Fancies

I am partial to a Mr Kipling French Fancy, yet I have never tried the Christmas edition; mainly because a lemon fancy is my go to. It wasn't until my mother in law brought a box over for my kids that I finally got round to trying one of these Frosty Fancies.


The box of 8 mini cakes costs £1, which is a great price, considering the regular French Fancies sometimes cost more than £2.

Vanilla sponge with buttercream and icing - aside from the name I can't see what is so festive about these iced delights, but cake is cake so I was eating it.


The icing is so sweet! I mean, I know icing is basically just sugar and water, but this made my teeth ache. It was nice enough, but nothing special. I won't lie, after I tried the icing, I shoved the rest of the cake in my mouth whole. It was decent. The sponge had a nice light texture and buttercream is always good, but it had no wow factor. My wife described it as being like birthday cake, but missing something, and that is exactly what it is.

I can't help but feel that Mr Kipling could have been so much more creative with these, after all, they have TWO Christmas varieties of their Viennese Whirls. A cinnamon or spiced orange sponge would have been great, or even vanilla sponge with a cranberry buttercream and orange icing.

These are nice, that's it. For £1 they're good enough, but personally I'd rather spend a bit more for a better product. Sorry Mr Kipling, I think you can do better than this.

Munchie Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment